“CITIES ARE US” aims to promote a frank and balanced debate between scholars, activists and public officials coming from countries located in the North as well as in the South of the planet. Therefore, the organizers are working to put in place a series of measures that can support people who want to travel to Portugal for the event(s), in order to provide greater accessibility to them.
A series of different offers has been set in order to facilitate the presence of interested participants in the event:
1) You can apply for reduced fees on the basis of some established rules, filling this form and providing a brief CV and a short motivation letter which explains your needs of support and the importance of participating to the specific event for your present and future studies.
2) A network of “family hospitality” will be set during the preparatory seminars in April and May. The members of this network of supporters (students, researchers, professors, citizens of Coimbra and Lisbon) will offer accommodation services to a limited number of people. You will be able to access the Web application during May and June. The network will provide hospitality only for participants that will have signed and paid their application before May 8, 20012 so during the “early period” of inscriptions.
3) SASUC, the Social Affairs Department of the University of Coimbra, which is among the sponsors of the “Cities Are Us” cycle, will offer accommodation in Student Houses (in double rooms) at the fare of 8 euros per person per night for the nights between June 27 and July 1 (included), 2012.
Starting the 10th of April, a limited number of rooms (16 places for women and 18 for men) will be provided in the Residência POLO III (Azinhaga de Sta. Comba) for those who are interested, writing to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the title "SASUC ACCOMMODATION".
No reservations for this typology of accommodation will be accepted after June 6, 2012.
To the total sum of the accommodation price a deposit fee of 58€ per person will be added. This result value will be paid through bank transfer. The deposit value will also be also returned by bank transfer immediately after the check out, once verified that the room has not been damaged.
Further details (as bank accounts and location of the rooms) will be posted here and sent to the participants’ email.
4) We will quickly provide certificates (issued by the Scientific Committee) for the presenters whose paper proposals are approved so that you can apply for scholarships or contribution of support from your institute or other institutions.
5) Letter of acceptance for visa purposes will be sent to those requesting it.
The Scientific Committee, composed of the members of the CES/UCLG project, will analyse individual requests on a case-by-case basis only for those people who apply during the EARLY REGISTRATION period.
Equality of access to knowledge is a main goal for the Center of Social Studies and UCLG, main organizers of the “Cities Are Us” cycle of events. Therefore, it is our clear commitment for this cycle of conferences to use the contributions and sponsorships arriving from private Foundations, Banks and Embassies to free resources which can allow to lower the application fees for young students and social movement members, privileging those coming from the Southern countries.