The Trauma Centre is a unit of the Centre for Social Studies (CES) of the University of Coimbra, State Laboratory under the responsibility of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education, established by a CES scientific board resolution, on July 25th, 2009. It is presently coordinated by Luísa Sales, psychiatrist.
It is an entity that seeks to promote and disseminate knowledge on the prevention and intervention in psychological trauma in crisis, disaster and catastrophe situations, as well as to collaborate with other institutions involved in these scenarios, setting itself as a discussion forum and a place for sharing different knowledges on Trauma.
In fact, psychosocial intervention in trauma, either at the research, network building, intervention protocols construction or at the training of certified experts’ level, is nowadays internationally considered to be a priority theme. Moreover, the current relevance of the transversality of the trauma studies entitles a university structure to congregate, associate and catalyse different interventions and institutions operating in this area.
Since November 2010, the Trauma Centre is Society member of the European Society for the Study of Traumatic Stress, integrating its Board of Directors. It promotes Advanced Training Courses in Psychotraumatology, with access to ESTSS European certification.
The coordination is responsible for all the Trauma Centre activities and for the external representation.
It is composed of senior researchers, associate researchers and junior researchers. Senior researchers are those who develop continuous duties within the Centre of Trauma. Associate researchers are those who develop duties upon invitation within the Trauma Centre. Junior researchers are those who, by means of research projects or other activities, are temporarily integrated in the Trauma Centre’s research group. The research group is responsible for the development of all the Trauma Centre activities.
Is responsible for the administrative organization of the Trauma Centre activities.
It is a partner institution of the Trauma Centre the institution/association with which a cooperation protocol is celebrated. The nature of collaboration between the Trauma Centre and the partner institution is defined in that protocol. Each partner institution shall appoint two permanent representatives to take part in the Trauma Centre Scientific Board meetings, as well as in the other regular activities laid out in the protocols. The partner institutions are also requested to promote the adhesion of members to the Trauma Centre.
The Scientific Board decides on the matters related to the Trauma Centre activities. The Scientific Board is composed of the coordination members, permanent researchers, permanent representatives of partner institutions and other member of renowned merit.
External Scientific Committee
The External Scientific Committee is composed of individuals who, upon invitation, for their reputation and renowned scientific and professional merit, can contribute to the objectives of the Trauma Centre, assisting in the establishment of the strategic lines.
1. The Trauma Centre members will have a privileged access to:
• An extended discussion network on Psychological Trauma.
• Information and selected bibliography on Psychological Trauma
• A National and international training and scientific research network.
• Professionals from different interdisciplinary areas of research and training related to Psychological Trauma
2. As a member institution of the European Society of Traumatic Stress Studies – ESTSS, the Trauma Centre membership grants its members with direct affiliation to ESTSS.
3. As ESTSS affiliates, members are entitled to:
• Privileged access to the necessary training to obtain ESTSS’s General Certificate in Psychotraumatology.
• Receive the European Trauma Bulletin.
• Participate in ESTSS working groups.
• Have full access to ESTSS’s website.
• Access to an extensive network of professionals in Psychotraumatology.
• Discounts on ESTSS conferences and workshops registration rates.
• Access to the ESTSS President’s quarterly bulletin.
• Right to vote in ESTSS elections.
• Discounts on the Journal of Traumatic Stress subscriptions.
1. Associate Partners (check the partner institutions of the Trauma Centre here) are subject to payment of an annual membership fee of 17 Euros.
2. Individual members are subject to payment of an annual membership fee of 17 Euros.
The fee may be revised annually.
* IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Online form: In order to be correctly submitted and accepted by the system, all fields must be filled (in case a field does not apply to your situation, please fill with - , x, n.a, or any other acceptable characters)
- PDF form for further submission: For specific situations only. We recommend filling in the online form, as it is more practical, quicker and shipping costs free.