Getting to Coimbra
We have chosen two ways for you to get to Coimbra (the easiest ways):
1. by BUS
2. by Train
SPECIAL NOTE: When arriving by train bare in mind that Coimbra has two train stations:
- Coimbra-B wich is far away from the center of the city;
- Coimbra, in the center of Coimbra. You would also have to switch trains at Coimbra-B.
From Lisbon to Coimbra
1. If you are at Portela Airport your best solution to come to Coimbra would probably be by train. Just use the Aerobus Shuttle (2.30 Euros) from the airport to the last of it's stations. There is a train station there.
2. If you are arriving to Lisbon by train then train is the obvious choice of how to get to Coimbra.
3. Arriving to Lisbon by Bus? Then you are probably really feed up with busses, but maybe you could just use it to come to Coimbra. If not just take the subway to Oriente (last subway station on the red line) and take the train.
4. Taxis from the Airport to any of the train or bus stations are expensive, so you're probably better off without using them.
From Lisbon Bus Station at Sete Rios to Coimbra Bus Station it's as easy as it gets. Just buy a ticket to Coimbra and in three hours (or less) you will be there. The only problem might be on how to get to the Lisbon Bus station. So if you are at Portela Airport you can use the AeroBus Shutle and leave at Sete Rios bus stop.
There you easily go to the Bus Station. Finally, after arriving at the station ask for a ticket to Coimbra (11 Euros without youth card).
You can catch the train from two diferent stations:
1. Santa Apolónia
2. Estação do Oriente
They are both on the same line, so after you are on one of them the procedure is the same. Buy a ticket to Coimbra, wait for the train and go. The price of the train depends on the kind of ticket you buy, and it can go from around 12 Euros to 30 Euros. If you are in Lisbon and near a subway then use it. The station that you want to get is Oriente, the last one in the red line. Fast and easy. When you get to Oriente you will be at the train station (actually you will be underneath it, so go up). Remember to look around the subway stations. Most of them are very beautiful and with a very nice design.
If there is no subway nearby try to take a bus to Santa Apolónia.
There you can take the train to Coimbra.
From Porto to Coimbra
If you are at Sá Carneiro Airport your best solution to come to Coimbra would probably be by train. Just use the subway at the airport (get a "Andante" 3.15 Euros) from the airport to Campanhã Train Station (Violet Line). There is a train station there.
Taxis from the Airport to any of the train or bus stations are really expensive, so you're probably better off without using them.
You can catch the train from Campanhã Train Station.
Buy a ticket to Coimbra, wait for the train and go. The price of the train depends on the kind of ticket you buy, and it can go from around 12 Euros to 30 Euros.