- Centre for Studies in Developing Societies|
- Masters Degree in Economics, Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University, Delhi.
Other positions held
- Currently -Consultant, Business India Group. Consulting Editor, Seminar
- May 1994 to July 1996 - Acquisitions Editor, Sage Publications India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi
- March 1986 to May 1994 - Fellow Centre for Studies in Developing Societies, Delhi
- April 1977 to March 1986 - Deputy Director. Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi
Member Editorial Board of
- Co-ordinator (Asia) and Member Core Group, Popular Participation Programme, UNRISD, Geneva (1980-83).
- Consultant, FFHC/AD, FAO, Rome, 1983 and 1984.
- Consultant, United Nations University Asian Perspective Project, South Asia, 1985-86.
- Editor, Lokayan Bulletin, 1985-88 and Consultant Editor, Lokayan Bulletin, 1989-91.
- Chairman, Asian Regional Exchange For New Alternatives (ARENA), Hong Kong, 1988-93.
Publications - books
- Development in Practice, 1994-96
- Voluntas, 1990-
- People's Action, 1985-88 -
- Asian Exchange, 1988-
- Foul Play: Chronicles of Corruption 1947-97; (ed.) with S. Visvanathan, Banyan Books, Delhi, 1998. Social Change Through Voluntary Action (ed.) with M. L. Dantwala and P. Visaria, Sage, Delhi, 1998.
- Participatory Development: Learning from South Asia; with P. Wignaraja, A. Hussain and G. Wignaraja, Oxford, University Press, Karachi, 1991.
- Rethinking Human Rights; (ed.) with S. Kothari, Lokayan Delhi, 1989 and New Horizons Press, New York, 1989.
- Voices from a Scarred city; (ed.) with S. Kothari, Lokayan, Delhi, 1985.
- Action Research for Development; (ed.) with Kuldeep Mathur, Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi, 1984.