Queering Friendship | citizenship, care and choice
16-18 October 2018, Lisbon | Portugal
Jack Halberstam (Columbia University)
Sasha Roseneil (University of Essex)
Queering Friendship was the 3rd and final International Conference of the ERC funded study INTIMATE: Citizenship, Care and Choice - The micro-politics of intimacy in Southern Europe, coordinated by Ana Cristina Santos (www.ces.uc.pt/intimate). The Conference focused on LGBTQ Friendship, with a particular intersectional interest in practices of citizenship, care and choice beyond law and public policies.
Topics included, but were not limited to:
- To what extent have transgender people been actively involved in providing and/or receiving care for/from friends?
- To what extent have friends been replacing lovers and relatives in terms of home ‘making’ amongst LGBTQ people?
- Do people decide to cohabit with their friends, or does this mirror an adjustment to wider processes of legal, policy and cultural misrecognition?
- What are the needs, expectations and resources related to care provision for/from trans people from/to friends?
- How to improve public policies regulating shared accommodation amongst friends?
- How are the processes of precariousness affecting LGBTQ self-determination, including reproductive and partnering projects?
- How central is the idea of ‘the couple’, and to what extent, and in what ways, is that idea being queered?
- What does the recognition of sexual orientation, gender identity or relational orientation entail when it comes to citizenship, care and choice?
- How does LGBTQ politics of friendship intersect with those of ethnicity, disability and other forms of discrimination?
2nd INTIMATE International Conference: Queering Parenting
On the 2-3 March 2017, INTIMATE organized in Coimbra the International Conference Queering Parenting, around issues of parenthood and non-standard-reproduction, including medically assisted reproduction and surrogacy.
One hundred and sixty people joined the conference from across the globe. For this 2nd INTIMATE Conference we successfully implicated both national and EU policy makers in relevant knowledge production, together with scholars, activists and other professionals.