Queering Friendship | citizenship, care and choice
16-18 October 2018, Lisbon | Portugal
Jack Halberstam (Columbia University)
Sasha Roseneil (University of Essex)
Queering Friendship was the 3rd and final International Conference of the ERC funded study INTIMATE: Citizenship, Care and Choice - The micro-politics of intimacy in Southern Europe, coordinated by Ana Cristina Santos (www.ces.uc.pt/intimate). The Conference focused on LGBTQ Friendship, with a particular intersectional interest in practices of citizenship, care and choice beyond law and public policies.
Topics included, but were not limited to:
- To what extent have transgender people been actively involved in providing and/or receiving care for/from friends?
- To what extent have friends been replacing lovers and relatives in terms of home ‘making’ amongst LGBTQ people?
- Do people decide to cohabit with their friends, or does this mirror an adjustment to wider processes of legal, policy and cultural misrecognition?
- What are the needs, expectations and resources related to care provision for/from trans people from/to friends?
- How to improve public policies regulating shared accommodation amongst friends?
- How are the processes of precariousness affecting LGBTQ self-determination, including reproductive and partnering projects?
- How central is the idea of ‘the couple’, and to what extent, and in what ways, is that idea being queered?
- What does the recognition of sexual orientation, gender identity or relational orientation entail when it comes to citizenship, care and choice?
- How does LGBTQ politics of friendship intersect with those of ethnicity, disability and other forms of discrimination?
2nd INTIMATE International Conference: Queering Parenting
On the 2-3 March 2017, INTIMATE organized in Coimbra the International Conference Queering Parenting, around issues of parenthood and non-standard-reproduction, including medically assisted reproduction and surrogacy.
One hundred and sixty people joined the conference from across the globe. For this 2nd INTIMATE Conference we successfully implicated both national and EU policy makers in relevant knowledge production, together with scholars, activists and other professionals.
03.03. 2017, Politicians Plenary - LGBTQ Politics in Southern Europe.
Catarina Marcelino, Secretary of State for Citizenship and Equality
Danieli Viotti, MEP. European Parliament
José Soeiro, MP. Portuguese Parliament
02.03.2017, Plenary Session – INTIMATE Consultants on Parenting
Chiara Bertone, “Handle (and Queer) with Care: Problematic Alliances and Good Parenting”. VIDEO
Christian Klesse, “Polyamorous Families – Parenting Practice, Stigma and Social Recognition”. VIDEO
Jacqui Gabb, “The (Analytical) Cost of Same-sex Parenthood”. VIDEO
03.03.02.2017, Results of the Study on Medically Assisted Reproduction
Plenary session to present and discuss the results of the INTIMATE study on Surrogacy in Portugal, Spain and Italy conducted in 2016 under the strand of Parenting.
Beatrice Gusmano, “Brave intersectionality. Non-heterosexual Mothers Accessing ARTs in Italy;
Ana Cristina Santos, “Repronormativity and its Others: Reproductive Dissidence of Lesbian and Bisexual Mothers in Lisbon;
Luciana Moreira, “Universal Rights and Local Values: Lesbian and Bisexual Mothers Negotiating Futurity”;